You start the probate proceeding by filing a petition and supplemental preliminary documentation required, with the clerk of the Superior Court in the county where the decedent resided at the time of his death, no matter where he died or left property. The person requesting to be appointed the estate representative files the probate petition. That person is called the petitioner.