When a person dies, his/her heirs will eventually need to access funds held in the decedent’s bank accounts, transfer the decedent’s property, and pay any outstanding debts and taxes. This process may require the personal representative to get letters of administration in probate.

What our Clients Say...
I used A People’s Choice for the preparation and filing of court documents in connection with probate for my sister’s estate.  I began the probate process in pro per without knowing of the services of A People’s Choice.  After many trips to the LA Court house and attempting to interpret the requirements for each filing, I heard of A People’s Choice.  Fantastic find!  I hired this firm after discovering the difficultly in processing the probate by myself.  Very knowledgeable with good technology to keep me informed along the process of their filing of numerous documents.  Their fees were significantly less than what I would have had to pay for an attorney yet their services were excellent and I could not see where an attorney would have been any better (or as good).I highly recommend this service.
Ron C.
“I can’t say enough about the level of service and professionalism I received working with A People’s Choice. Emails were always responded to quickly and thoughtfully. They really care about the process and helping you get the best result with no up-selling. Of course, they can’t provide legal advice, but I was referred to an attorney when I needed some questions answered who was very reasonable and easy to get a hold of as well. The process played out according to plan and I ended up saving a lot of money by going with A People’s Choice over an attorney.”
M. Rice
“I am writing to give A People’s Choice my utmost recommendation. I live in New England and found them on the web. After speaking with a staff member on the phone I had the confidence to give them my business. A People’s Choice handled my probate case with great professionalism and knowledge. My case turned out to be more complicated than originally believed and the staff walked me through each step. They always responded promptly to my email questions. In the end, their service was exactly what I hoped for; they saved me thousands of dollars and allowed me to do it from across the country. They were truly a pleasure to work with.”
K. Levenson
“A People Choice provided excellent support with the appropriate legal documents and filing process in a spousal property petition after my husband passed. Lawyers wanted to charge me a fortune. However, once I spoke with someone at A People’s Choice, they took on my case and guided me through every step. A People’s Choice has years of experience which gave me a sense of trust and confidence. I always got immediate feedback from every email request. If you have a need for probate help, I would highly recommend A People’s Choice.”
Sylvia A
“I had a great experience with my probate using A People’s Choice! The people that assisted me were so helpful.  I could not have done this probate by myself.  I was able to save over 10,000 in lawyer fees!  All my emails were always returned so quickly, and I am a very satisfied customer.  I would highly recommend A People’s Choice to all my friends and family!”
Joi C
“APC did a great job with my father’s probate case. I highly recommend them. Professional staff!!! Probably saved me about $10k.”
Eric N
“When my mother in-law passed away last year, we didn’t know what to do. We contacted A People’s Choice and from day one they were very helpful. They almost held our hand every step of the way, and if I had a question any time of the day or night someone got back to me within a few hours. I highly recommend A People’s Choice if you don’t know what to do and don’t want to pay the high price of a lawyer especially if you don’t have much money.”
Mikki C
“A People’s Choice helped us throughout our entire year-long probate making the process very easy and manageable while at the same time saving us thousands of dollars in lawyer’s fees. Not only were they extremely friendly and fast to respond to our questions but they made the process simple enough that we hardly ever had to contact the courthouse directly and we even had a hearing done without an appearance. Would highly recommend A People’s Choice to anyone!”
A. Vuckovich
“A People’s Choice is a very responsible and effective company, staff there is very nice and replied to all my questions by email quickly. With their help, I accomplished the probate in 8 months successfully and saved at least $10,000.00 in attorney fees, so I strongly recommend everybody to contract with A People’s Choice and let them to help you with your legal documents. You will be very satisfied with their work as I did!!!!”
C. Chiu
“A People’s Choice walked me through the entire probate process. They are so professional and helpful. Thank you to the staff for your guidance and patience to talk me through such difficult time. You made the process very smooth for me. I am so glad that I found you.” 
Sandie K.
“The staff at A People’s Choice made a scary Probate pretty much stress free. I would send an email with a question I had thought of over the weekend with the expectation that I would get an answer on Monday. Lo and behold, I often got an answer within minutes! We are very pleased and will be referring our friends/family to A People’s Choice!”
L. Garrett
“Thanks to A People’s Choice I was able to get through a probate matter very smoothly. I had not one issue with the Courts. They guided me through the whole probate until the very end. I live up north but that didn’t matter, A People’s Choice did an excellent job keeping me informed with everything that I needed to do. I saved THOUSANDS of dollars by going with A People’s Choice. You can’t go wrong, no matter what your needs are. I saved a lot of money by not having to pay out a percentage to any attorney. I want to thank the staff at A People’s Choice for the great help they give to everyone in their times of need. Like I was! Thank You.”
R. Leonard
“When my father passed away without a will, we needed help handling the transfer of his assets. Since there weren’t significant assets, I didn’t want to spend too much on the legal paperwork. A People’s Choice offered just the right service we needed. In particular, the staff was very responsive to our document filing needs, helping to turn around corrections almost immediately. They helped to ease a tough situation.”
Michael C.
“I used A People’s Choice for help with a probate matter. My grandfather died Christmas of 2016. He had a living trust, but no one was able to find it. We went to A People’s Choice and we were able to do a probate affidavit to get what was left of my grandfather’s estate. Took two days for the documents to be prepared and the bank accepted them without any questions. Sandy was the one who assisted us, and we really appreciate the help that was provided. A+ service.”
David R.
“A People’s Choice worked on my probate case for over 1 year. Their knowledge, dedication and commitment to clients is exceptional. They prepared all the required legal documents, and all the court filings. They used the e-filing system, which initially I was hesitant about, but I’m so glad they did. It really expedited the process. They always answered my emails in a very timely manner and was always professional. The probate process is long and sometimes seems overwhelming. It’s also very expensive, A People’s Choice saved me thousands of dollars over going to an Attorney. I would highly recommend A People’s Choice for your probate needs, it’s cost effective, and they handle the entire process from beginning to end. They do a great job!”
“A People’s Choice was professional and courteous throughout a long probate process. Probate itself is a frustrating and expensive process; however, everyone I came in contact with at A People’s Choice was exceptionally helpful, patient, and professional. For those entering into the probate process I must warn you that it is difficult to understand but the staff at A People’s Choice makes it as tolerable you could wish for.  The people who work there were kind, efficient, and understanding.  As long as you email them your questions, they will get back to you and they will not make you feel like you are ignorant if you are unclear about any part of the process.”
Marcel B
“I needed help understanding and filling out legal documents, but I didn’t have enough money to pay for an attorney. I searched the internet for a short period of time looking for help and when I found A People’s Choice, I was relieved to know that I would get the exact service that I needed at an affordable price. The staff was very professional and helpful with my legal documents. They worked around my schedule and responded to my emails on a timely manner. They took care of all the paperwork and filing and kept me posted. I would highly recommend A People’s Choice for your legal documents as you will get outstanding service at an affordable price. “
Sharon B.

Get Letters of Administration in Probate!

  • or call 1-800-747-2780

If the estate is going through the probate process, the court needs to appoint someone to act on behalf of the estate.  This person is then responsible for gathering the assets and property of the estate and settling all debts and taxes of the decedent.  The appointed representative can then deal with different institutions such as banks, tax institutions, life insurance companies, financial institutions, and the Department of Motor Vehicles.  Many of these institutions, will refuse to speak to someone about the decedent’s funds without court issued “Letters.”

Different Types of “Letters”

There are several different types of Letters the court can issue. The following information will help you to understand the different terminology used in probate court when referring to the granting of Letters. Keep in mind that the term “Letters” is not an actual letter but rather a court document that gives authority to the personal representative.

“Letters” refers to:

  • “Letters of Administration” when there is no will
  • “Letters of Testamentary” when there is a will, or
  • “Letters of Administration with Will Annexed” when there is a will, but the will failed to name an executor.

For this article, we will discuss how to get letters of administration in probate.

How to Get Letters of Administration in Probate

In order to get Letters of administration, someone must petition the court to be named as personal representative of the estate. The court will hold an initial probate hearing. If the Petition is in proper order and approved, the court will formally grant the personal representative authority to act on behalf of the estate. Once the Judge has signed the Order for Probate, the Court Clerk can issue formal Letters of administration. This is just the first step in the probate process.

Getting “Letters” May Require a Bond

To get Letters of administration in probate, the court requires the administrator to swear an administrator’s oath in writing.  Before the court will issue Letters, the estate administrator may have to post a bond to protect the estate against mismanagement.

There are times when a bond is not required. For example, when there is a Will, the bond requirement has often been waived by the decedent. If the will does not provide for a waiver of a bond, the heirs can ask the court to waive the bond requirement. There are situations, however, when the court will require the personal representative to get a bond. This requirement is usually for personal representatives who live out-of-state. A bond for out-of-state personal representatives may be required even if the heirs have waived bond or the will waives bond.

Getting “Letters” Requires Filing Probate

Note that court only allows someone to get letters of administration in probate if the estate is settled through a full probate procedure.  Many estates are settled through trust administration or through small estate procedures. In these situations, it will not be possible to get Letters of administration. Sometimes bank employees incorrectly tell people they need Letters. The banks do this because their employees are merely following a bank’s procedures manual. Keep in mind, bank employees are not lawyers and do not understand California probate law.  If you have been told you need “Letters” but the estate is worth less than $150,000, do not assume this is true. You may need to educate the bank employee about California probate law. Often in smaller estates, it is not necessary to get letters of administration.

If you need to get letters of administration in probate, contact A People’s Choice. You don’t need to hire an attorney to get letters of administration in probate. Attorneys are very expensive and charge statutory fees that are based on the value of the estate. A People’s Choice can help you get letters of administration. More importantly, we can help you complete probate at a fraction of the cost an attorney will charge. Call us today at 800-747-2780 for immediate help.

Get help with your Legal documents today!

A People’s Choice can save you hundreds of dollars by preparing your legal documents instead of an expensive attorney!


Was this article helpful? We would love to know your thoughts! If you found this article helpful, please check the LIKE button below. Your feedback helps us plan topics for future articles.