There are many forms of visitation for non-custodial parents. When the safety and welfare of a child is in question, a court may order supervised visitation to a non-custodial parent. The court will order visitation to be supervised if a parent has a history of domestic violence or sexual abuse. Furthermore, if a child’s safety and well-being is affected by the non-custodial parent, the court will order supervised visits. Supervised visits provide the non-custodial parent opportunity to keep up contact with their children, while keeping the children in a safe environment.

How Do Supervised Visits Work?

For a parent to have their visits supervised, the non-custodial parent must report to a designated visitation person or center. In this regard, the parents may arrange for a family member to be present during the non-custodial parent’s visits. Be aware, the judge may also specify who is to supervise the session such as a counselor or social worker.

The judge may order temporary or long-term supervised visits. If there has been a restraining order for domestic violence, the judge may order the non-custodial parent to take anger management classes before allowing unsupervised visits. In matters of child abuse, the judge may order the non-custodial parent to attend parenting and/or anger management classes. The non-custodial parent will have to show that there has been a change in circumstances to have the custody order modified. For example, the non-custodial parent’s attendance in a anger management program which impacts the parent’s fitness may be sufficient to show a change in circumstances. The non-custodial parent must return to court to ask for a change to the custody or visitation order. Sufficient evidence must be presented to the judge to prove that a change in circumstances has occurred and a change in visitation or custody is warranted.

Get help filing for Supervised Visitation!


  • or call 1-800-747-2780

  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Supervised Visitation Solutions

Supervised visitation solutions can take many forms such as the following:

  • Supervised visitation in the presence of a neutral third-party. A friend or family member can volunteer to supervise the visitation. This guide is a great resource for non-professional family members who may volunteer to supervise visitations.
  • Supervised visitation in the presence of the custodial parent. Parents must work together to prevent conflicts from arising during supervised visits. This supervised visitation solution is appropriate for infants and toddlers.
  • Supervised visitation at a neutral place where the visit is monitored by professionals. This type of supervised visitation solution involves professional staff. This solution is best for parents who are in high conflict custody disputes.
  • Supervised visitation with a mental health professional. This type of visitation allows a mental health professional to evaluate a parent’s interaction with their children and make recommendations on effective parenting.
  • Monitored exchanges. A monitored exchange allows the parents to meet with a neutral third-party when exchanging their children. Monitored exchanges allow for conflict free transitions for parents and children.

Contact A People’s Choice for more information on supervised visitation solutions in family court. If you are a mother who has experienced abuse and is interested in learning about supervised visitation, we urge you to read this guide. We can help you get a child custody order or change a current order to address supervised visitation. Call today at 800-747-2780.

Get help with your Legal documents today!


A People’s Choice can save you hundreds of dollars by preparing your legal documents instead of an expensive attorney!

Was this article helpful? We would love to know your thoughts! If you found this article helpful, please check the LIKE button below. Your feedback helps us plan topics for future articles.