Legal proceedings are complex. Sometimes, unexpected people and parties have an interest in the legal process. When this is the case, you must add them to the legal proceedings before you can fully resolve the case. You will use a joinder to do this. So what is a Joinder and can filing a Joinder help you in your legal case?

What our Clients Say...
“This team is efficient, professional, ethical and easy to work with. Any of my questions were responded to immediately. They did everything they could to help me. I highly recommend their services.”
Leigh A.
“I was very happy with the service received. They were extremely responsive by phone and email and completed the document in less than 24 hours! All questions were answered promptly. I would highly recommend this service to anyone needing a legal document prepared!”
“Very professional, excellent follow up and easy to work with. I will recommend them often! The staff rocks!”
Gene A.
“Extremely satisfied with the performance of A People’s Choice. The communication was excellent and all was handled in a timely efficient manner.”
Pam T.
“A People’s Choice is a great option to get legal documents prepared inexpensively. They offer a very professional, low cost service for all sorts of legal paperwork. You won’t be disappointed and will save lots of money as compared to using an expensive attorney!”
Kathryn R.
“Lightning fast response, I had my very simple document on the same day as my order for the very fair and reasonable price compared to my attorney who quoted me 3 weeks and $2500. I will definitely use these folks again and highly recommend them!”
L. Carnes
“We love A People’s Choice. It’s legally run and professional. Everyone has to have a recommendation and license. Highly recommended.”
Christy C.
“I was in need of some serious help and didn’t know what to do. I had contacted a lawyer and he wanted to charge me $1800.00. A People’s Choice got my paper work started and at a much lower cost. I am very grateful for the company’s services.
April R.
“I needed help understanding and filling out legal documents but I didn’t have enough money to pay for an attorney. I would highly recommend A People’s Choice for your legal documents as you will get outstanding service at an affordable price. “
Sharon B.
“A People’s Choice is a business that delivers what they promise. I was treated like a VIP by their staff and Sandy was the best. As for their services, they promptly delivered all of the official documents and fillings on my behalf and their price is more than reasonable.
Juan B.
“The service provided by A People’s Choice was very professional and comprehensive. We have used A People’s Choice on a previous occasion and were completely satisfied. We would highly recommend A People’s Choice to anyone!”
R. Betancourt
“A People’s Choice is extremely customer orientated and friendly. Their service was fast and reliable. in the future, should I need their services again, I will not hesitate to call them. All e-mails were answered with either a phone call or e-mail sometimes even late at night”
“I had the opportunity to use A People’s Choice again, Wow doesn’t say enough for the way the staff was able to get me in and out and all my answers answered. Very Professional, Organized and Friendly. I highly recommend!”
Debbie E.
“A People’s Choice – Saved me time, money & hardship. The people are professional and a pleasure to work with, I totally recommend them to everyone! I will used them for all my legal documents in the future. Thank you!”
C. Lazalde
“I am glad I chose A People’s Choice. They were very friendly and helped me with my documents in a very efficient way in very little time. Give them a try and you will be writing a positive review just as I did.”
D. Buelna
“I Recently used A PEOPLE’S CHOICE !!!! This service is absolutely AMAZING !!!! At first I was so confused , but after their process was explained to me , everything worked exactly the way they Said it would & they are there to help with the process. every step of the way , as promised. I would recommend this service 100% based on them being so efficient, professional, and always available to address any concerns that you may have . I appreciate the work that they did for me . THANKS !!!!
R. Ivey
“I recently required the help of A People’s Choice, Inc. and found them to be entirely professional. Everything was done in short order yet all was explained to my satisfaction. They were friendly and courteous. I am happy and impressed.”
C. Zyobel
“This company is excellent! They helped me get through all of my paperwork, submitted it to the court, and now everything is complete. Everything was clear and almost too easy. I saved thousands of dollars!”
Seth M.
“I have worked with A People’s Choice since September 2013. They are very knowledgeable and experienced. Their work is done professionally and timely. They showed a real concern for my situation. I recommend you give them the opportunity.”
D. Echeverra
“My wife and I needed to have some papers filed in court but found that traditional lawyers were quite expensive. They did a very professional job completing our paperwork and I might say, at a very reasonable price.”
D. Hileman
“Great service. Highly professional and efficient creating legal documents. I am completely satisfied and highly recommend them to others. People who are looking for professional legal services look no further, try A People’s Choice.”
Radtech N.
“A People’s Choice is awesome! They made the legal documentation process painless. I highly recommend A People’s Choice. The name says it all.”
Eric J.
“How much is peace of mind worth to you? This company of hardworking, caring individuals will help you get the job done in the quickest, most efficient way. Conveniently located. Check it out. Thank you!”
Diana K.
“I highly recommend A People’s Choice. The customer service and professionalism are exceptional. This service is only a fraction of the cost, more responsive, and better suited to quickly completing complicated court forms. “
Linda F.
“A People’s Choice prepares legal documents so you can represent yourself and still look like you know what you’re doing. I utilized their services recently and found them to be professional as well as extremely helpful. I couldn’t be happier.”
Evan J.
“I can’t say enough about the level of service and professionalism I received working with A People’s Choice. Emails were always responded to quickly and thoughtfully. I ended up saving a lot of money by going with A People’s Choice over an attorney.”
M. Rice
“Made the process so easy for me. Also VERY prompt replies through email. So glad I used their services.”
Kristina C.

Get help to File a Joinder!


…or continue reading the article below to learn more about Joinders.

What is a Joinder

In a civil case, Joinder involves the process in which a defendant adds unnamed third-party to a lawsuit. A plaintiff cannot hold a person liable unless they are a party in the case. In order to hold a person responsible to the plaintiff by court order, he/she must be listed as a defendant on the complaint in which the judge issues an order. Usually, plaintiffs establish joinder when they wish to pursue legal action against a new party. This new party is a third-party defendant.

On the other hand, you can also file a Joinder in divorce and family law cases. For example, often it is necessary to formally join a retirement plan to the divorce case to protect the account. On the other hand, some retirement plans require formal joining before the plan will acknowledge a QDRO.

As another illustration, matters involving grandparent rights usually require filing a Joinder. Since the grandparents are not part of a family law or paternity case, it is necessary to join them to a case if they are seeking grandparent visitation.

Rules of the Joinder Process

Federal Civil Procedure Rules 18 through 21 establish the joinder process. Rule 19 – 20 details the procedures the plaintiff must take to join a defendant to a lawsuit. Rule 21 addresses the improper joinder of parties and the failure of the plaintiff to join parties who should be part of the lawsuit.

California Civil Procedure and California Rules of Court also address how to add parties to a civil matter. You may hear different terms in relationship to the term joinder. For example, joinder may be necessary or permissive:

  • Necessary joinder means, literally, that the action was required. For example, a judge cannot hear a lawsuit or make a court order until the joining of all proper parties because the plaintiff did not include all defendants or claims.
  • Permissive joinder means although it is not necessary to add the parties, the court will permit the plaintiff to add them. If the joinder is permissive, then the court may decide to hear the additional claims later. In this situation , the lawsuit can continue in its original form.

How to File a Joinder

Once you have answered the question, “What is a joinder?” you must decide what type of joinder to file. The type of joinder you file will determine the process you follow.

In a civil case, you will first need to file a Motion for Joinder. You will make a formal request to the court to add a person or entity to the lawsuit.

In divorce, you can file a Joinder to request the addition of a pension plan administrator to a Qualified Domestic Relations Order.

If either situation applies to you, keep in mind that the court may order that a person who claims an interest in the proceeding be joined as a party to the case according to the rules adopted by the Judicial Council in Section 211. Secondly, an employee benefit plan may be joined as a party only per Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 2060 ). See California Family Law Code.

If possible, file the Joinder at the same time as the divorce petition or soon afterwards. If the retirement account holder liquidates the retirement funds after a final judgment of divorce, the payee may not receive his/her entitlement.

Who Can Ask to Join a Party?

To understand the joinder process, you must know the people who may have a financial or other interest in the divorce case. Remember, you can join any person claiming or controlling interest in the divorce as a party to the case.

There are three types of people who may seek joinder:

  1. The petitioner or the respondent may apply to the court for an order joining a person as a party to the case who has or claims custody or physical control of any of the minor children or who has in his or her possession or control or claims to own any property subject to the jurisdiction of the court in the proceeding.
  2. A person who has or claims custody or physical control of any of the minor children may apply to the court for an order joining himself or herself as a party to the proceeding.
  3. A person served with an order temporarily restraining the use of property that is in his or her possession or control or that he or she claims to own, or affecting the custody of minor children may apply to the court for an order joining himself or herself as a party to the proceeding.

See California Rules of Court Rule 5.24.

There are specific forms that you must complete, file with the court, and serve on the opposing party and the party you are joining to the lawsuit. Contact A People’s Choice for more information on how to complete the necessary forms you need to join a party to a pending lawsuit. Call us today at 805-648-5540.

Get help with your Legal documents today!

A People’s Choice can save you hundreds of dollars by preparing your legal documents instead of an expensive attorney!


Was this article helpful? We would love to know your thoughts! If you found this article helpful, please check the LIKE button below. Your feedback helps us plan topics for future articles.