Divorced spouses often contact us with concerns that their ex-spouse won’t sign QDRO, a qualified domestic relations order. The courts use a QDRO (pronounced “quaw-dro”) to officially divide a former spouse’s interest in a retirement plan or pension plan. If your spouse won’t sign QDRO, then you will not be able to complete the process of dividing the retirement account . However, the spouse refusing to sign the QDRO could find themselves held in contempt of court for refusing to do so. This article reviews options you may have if your ex-spouse is refusing to sign your QDRO.

What our Clients Say...
“A People’s Choice is awesome! They made the legal documentation process painless. I highly recommend A People’s Choice. The name says it all.”
Eric J.
“Very professional, excellent follow up and easy to work with. I will recommend them often! The staff rocks!”
Gene A.
“Great service. Highly professional and efficient creating legal documents. I am completely satisfied and highly recommend them to others. People who are looking for professional legal services look no further, try A People’s Choice.”
Radtech N.
“Made the process so easy for me. Also VERY prompt replies through email. So glad I used their services.”
Kristina C.
“The service provided by A People’s Choice was very professional and comprehensive. We have used A People’s Choice on a previous occasion and were completely satisfied. We would highly recommend A People’s Choice to anyone!”
R. Betancourt
“My wife and I needed to have some papers filed in court but found that traditional lawyers were quite expensive. They did a very professional job completing our paperwork and I might say, at a very reasonable price.”
D. Hileman
“I was very happy with the service received. They were extremely responsive by phone and email and completed the document in less than 24 hours! All questions were answered promptly. I would highly recommend this service to anyone needing a legal document prepared!”
“I have worked with A People’s Choice since September 2013. They are very knowledgeable and experienced. Their work is done professionally and timely. They showed a real concern for my situation. I recommend you give them the opportunity.”
D. Echeverra
“I recently required the help of A People’s Choice, Inc. and found them to be entirely professional. Everything was done in short order yet all was explained to my satisfaction. They were friendly and courteous. I am happy and impressed.”
C. Zyobel
“We love A People’s Choice. It’s legally run and professional. Everyone has to have a recommendation and license. Highly recommended.”
Christy C.
“Extremely satisfied with the performance of A People’s Choice. The communication was excellent and all was handled in a timely efficient manner.”
Pam T.
“I Recently used A PEOPLE’S CHOICE !!!! This service is absolutely AMAZING !!!! At first I was so confused , but after their process was explained to me , everything worked exactly the way they Said it would & they are there to help with the process. every step of the way , as promised. I would recommend this service 100% based on them being so efficient, professional, and always available to address any concerns that you may have . I appreciate the work that they did for me . THANKS !!!!
R. Ivey
“A People’s Choice is a business that delivers what they promise. I was treated like a VIP by their staff and Sandy was the best. As for their services, they promptly delivered all of the official documents and fillings on my behalf and their price is more than reasonable.
Juan B.
“Lightning fast response, I had my very simple document on the same day as my order for the very fair and reasonable price compared to my attorney who quoted me 3 weeks and $2500. I will definitely use these folks again and highly recommend them!”
L. Carnes
“A People’s Choice – Saved me time, money & hardship. The people are professional and a pleasure to work with, I totally recommend them to everyone! I will used them for all my legal documents in the future. Thank you!”
C. Lazalde
“A People’s Choice is a great option to get legal documents prepared inexpensively. They offer a very professional, low cost service for all sorts of legal paperwork. You won’t be disappointed and will save lots of money as compared to using an expensive attorney!”
Kathryn R.
“I was in need of some serious help and didn’t know what to do. I had contacted a lawyer and he wanted to charge me $1800.00. A People’s Choice got my paper work started and at a much lower cost. I am very grateful for the company’s services.
April R.
“How much is peace of mind worth to you? This company of hardworking, caring individuals will help you get the job done in the quickest, most efficient way. Conveniently located. Check it out. Thank you!”
Diana K.
“This team is efficient, professional, ethical and easy to work with. Any of my questions were responded to immediately. They did everything they could to help me. I highly recommend their services.”
Leigh A.
“A People’s Choice is extremely customer orientated and friendly. Their service was fast and reliable. in the future, should I need their services again, I will not hesitate to call them. All e-mails were answered with either a phone call or e-mail sometimes even late at night”
“I can’t say enough about the level of service and professionalism I received working with A People’s Choice. Emails were always responded to quickly and thoughtfully. I ended up saving a lot of money by going with A People’s Choice over an attorney.”
M. Rice
“This company is excellent! They helped me get through all of my paperwork, submitted it to the court, and now everything is complete. Everything was clear and almost too easy. I saved thousands of dollars!”
Seth M.
“I am glad I chose A People’s Choice. They were very friendly and helped me with my documents in a very efficient way in very little time. Give them a try and you will be writing a positive review just as I did.”
D. Buelna
“A People’s Choice prepares legal documents so you can represent yourself and still look like you know what you’re doing. I utilized their services recently and found them to be professional as well as extremely helpful. I couldn’t be happier.”
Evan J.
“I highly recommend A People’s Choice. The customer service and professionalism are exceptional. This service is only a fraction of the cost, more responsive, and better suited to quickly completing complicated court forms. “
Linda F.
“I had the opportunity to use A People’s Choice again, Wow doesn’t say enough for the way the staff was able to get me in and out and all my answers answered. Very Professional, Organized and Friendly. I highly recommend!”
Debbie E.
“I needed help understanding and filling out legal documents but I didn’t have enough money to pay for an attorney. I would highly recommend A People’s Choice for your legal documents as you will get outstanding service at an affordable price. “
Sharon B.

Ex-Spouse Won’t Sign QDRO?
We can Help!

…or continue reading the article below to learn more about options when an ex-spouse won’t sign a QDRO.

A People’s Choice can help you file the necessary documents to take action in the event your former spouse won’t sign a QDRO. Read on to learn more about alternatives to accomplish this process.

Why an Ex-Spouse Won’t Sign QDRO

Your ex-spouse may provide you with several reasons they believe they should not have to sign a QDRO. As with most things revolving around the divorce, they may not want to sign the QDRO simply out of anger. Alternatively, they may disagree with the court’s award of retirement division. Once the court makes a judgment to divide retirement, there are no valid reasons for an ex-spouse to refuse to sign a QDRO. The good news is that most spouses do opt to sign the QDRO once they realize the negative ramifications of refusing. You simply must take action to make signing the QDRO seem like a superior option to refusing by filing a motion or contempt request.

Penalties for Refusing to Sign QDRO

If your spouse won’t sign the QDRO, you will need a court order that directs the court clerk to sign on their behalf. Once you have that order, you no longer need your ex-spouse’s signature on the QDRO. It is also possible that if your spouse continues to resist, the court may order them in contempt of court. Filing a contempt request with the court in order to accomplish this is an option. However, it is usually much easier to file the motion to have the Clerk sign on their behalf.

As mentioned above, if your spouse refuses to sign a QDRO consistent with court-ordered retirement division, you have two options. First, you can commence contempt proceedings under California Family Law code section 290 and 1218. This means you will file a contempt request with the court. According to California Family Law, the court may enforce a QDRO court order by contempt, the appointment of a receiver, execution (enacting the order), or any other method the court requires. Once your former spouse is found guilty of contempt, the court can levy a fine of no more than $1,000 or imprison your ex-spouse for no more than five days. Sometimes, the court will do both.

How to File a Motion to Clerk

Alternatively, instead of filing a contempt motion, you can file a Motion to have the Court Clerk sign the QDRO on their behalf. Filing a motion is often a simpler and less time-consuming process. Either way, the court may also hold your spouse responsible for legal fees. As you can see, these are incredibly unattractive options for your ex-spouse.

As mentioned above, it is often easier to file a motion and request the Court Clerk sign the QDRO instead of your ex-spouse. With this in mind, you will need to prepare several documents to file this motion. First, complete a Request for Order. Then, attach your Declaration. Remember, the court will also require a Proposed Order. If the clerk approves your motion, the Judge will sign the Order and allow the Court Clerk to sign the QDRO at the place designed for your ex-spouse. Once you and the Court Clerk execute the document, the Judge will sign the QDRO, and you can present it to the Plan Administrator for a final division of the retirement account.  A People’s Choice can help make sure you have these documents filled out correctly and that your motion includes all the right paperwork.

Alternatives to Contempt or Motion

There are other options we have seen people choose when dealing with an ex-spouse that refuses to sign a QDRO.  Sometimes a person renegotiates and makes modifications to the Judgment’s QDRO language to make a spouse more willing to sign. Either way, it is up to you what actions you take to enforce the court-ordered division of retirement. If faced with an ex-spouse who won’t sign a QDRO, contact us today for help. We can prepare and file the necessary documents the judge requires to complete the QDRO process, even if your ex-spouse is not cooperating. You can reach us at 805-648-5540.

Get help with your Legal documents today!

A People’s Choice can save you hundreds of dollars by preparing your legal documents instead of an expensive attorney!

Was this article helpful? We would love to know your thoughts! If you found this article helpful, please check the LIKE button below. Your feedback helps us plan topics for future articles.