What is a Legal Separation in California

young man and woman leaning on wall in between themThe reasons for obtaining a legal separation in California and the process to accomplish it are very similar to a dissolution proceeding. The process is basically the same for a legal separation as for a divorce. All issues surrounding the marriage are resolved as they would be in a full divorce proceeding.

The main difference in a legal separation is that, at the end of the process the parties remain legally married. In a legal separation all issues pertaining to property, debt, children and support are resolved. Unlike in a divorce, however, the parties are still eligible to retain certain benefits that would otherwise be lost in a dissolution proceeding.

Another key difference is that there is no residence requirement under CCP Section 395 which would require one of the parties to have been a California resident for at least 6 months.

How to File a Legal Separation in California

The grounds for filing a legal separation in California are the same grounds as divorce actions. Often, filing for legal separation is an alternative to divorce when a breakdown of the marriage has taken place but the parties do not want to obtain a divorce for religious or other personal reasons. One very common reason to seek a legal separation instead of a divorce is to allow the parties to retain eligibility for medical insurance that would otherwise be lost by a termination of the marriage.
Filing for a legal separation in California is similar to any marriage termination proceeding and the California legal separation forms are the same forms as those for a divorce proceeding. The judgment of legal separation resolves all issues of support, custody, visitation, community property rights and community debt under the same standards and in the same manner as if the parties were seeking a judgment of dissolution.
Unlike in a dissolution proceeding, the judgment of legal separation leaves the marriage bonds intact. This means that the parties remain “married” in name only, without the rights and responsibilities that attach to marital status. The parties to a legal separation action cannot enter into a new marriage unless and until the existing marriage is dissolved by death or through a judgment of dissolution. The judgment of legal separation resolves all financial issues between the parties, including determination of their support obligations and a division of their community estate.

After a Judgment of Legal Separation, the parties do not acquire further community property and owe each other no spousal duties of care and support except as was ordered by the court in the Judgment of Legal Separation.

If one party files for a legal separation and the other party responds by requesting a dissolution of marriage, the court may not enter a judgment of legal separation and the case will proceed as a dissolution proceeding. Both parties must consent to the court awarding a legal separation. The only exception is when the respondent does not oppose the request for legal separation, as in a default case. Furthermore, after the entry of a judgment of legal separation, either party may subsequently file an action to dissolve the marriage.

Get help with your California family law documents today!

A People’s Choice can save you hundreds of dollars by preparing your legal separation documents instead of an expensive attorney!

Marriage and Domestic Partnerships Proceedings Price
Short term Marriage/Domestic Partnership (no personal property, children or real property) $499
Marriage/Domestic Partnership with personal property (NO children, includes written Agreement) $624
Marriage/Domestic Partnership with children (Includes written Agreement) $624
Marriage/Domestic Partnership with real property (Includes written Agreement $775
Summary Dissolution (Please check qualifications for Summary Dissolution) $499
Termination of Domestic Partnership through Secretary of State (Please check qualifications for Secretary of State procedure) $499
Petition Only OR Response to Dissolution $200-$300
Application to Serve by Publication $225