About Sandy McCarthy

Sandra M. McCarthy, founder of A People’s Choice Inc., has worked exclusively in the legal field since 1976. She served as the 2004-2005 President of CALDA (California Association of Legal Document Assistants). She obtained a Paralegal Certificate from the University of California, Santa Barbara. During her career in the legal field, she has worked as a freelance paralegal, law office manager and paralegal studies teacher, and has co-authored numerous legal publications and written hundreds of self-help legal articles. As a registered Legal Document Assistant, Sandy is dedicated to providing affordable, low-cost, self-help document preparation services for California consumers in all 58 counties.

How to File Probate in Del Norte County

Do you need to file probate in Del Norte County? Contact A People’s Choice to learn more about the legal document preparation services we provide to pro se litigants. You don't need to hire an expensive probate attorney to file probate in Del Norte County. A People's Choice can help you complete the forms you need to start and complete the probate process, and save the estate thousands of dollars in legal fees.

By |2019-09-08T17:26:40-07:00September 8th, 2019|Probate|0 Comments

How to File Emergency Probate in California  

Most people never face an emergency when going through the probate process. There are certain situations, however, that lead to probate emergencies and the need to file emergency probate. This special petition is known as a Petition for Letters of Special Administration. If the Petition is approved, the Court Clerk will issue Letters of Special Administration. Letters of Special Administration are temporary Letters of authority that can be approved by the Probate Judge for a specific purpose on an ex parte basis (without a hearing).

By |2019-09-08T17:31:41-07:00September 8th, 2019|Probate|0 Comments

California Conservatorship For Mentally Disabled 

When a person has a mental disability, often they cannot take care of their own basic needs. Once they reach adulthood, you may discover you require a special type of conservatorship for mentally disabled individuals. In California, there is a specific process you must follow so the court may appoint a conservator for adults with mental disabilities. There are many reasons this becomes necessary. This article explains more about how to get conservatorship for mentally disabled in California.

By |2019-09-07T17:41:14-07:00September 7th, 2019|Conservatorship|0 Comments

How to File Probate in Modoc County

If you live in Modoc County and are facing having to file probate, you may not be aware that you can file probate in Modoc County without hiring an attorney! Most large estates can be probated without an attorney. Attorneys charge expensive statutory fees to probate estates. A People's Choice has helped thousands of people file probate in California. People that use our self-help probate service avoid paying those expensive statutory attorney fees, saving the estate thousands of dollars.

By |2019-09-07T15:07:47-07:00September 7th, 2019|Probate|0 Comments

Default Hearing in Divorce Case

Not every divorce involves a trial, and in many cases, the divorcing spouses do not even need to hire lawyers. In an uncontested divorce, there is no trial. The couple can agree to all of the issues and sign a Marital Settlement Agreement that lays out what they agree on and who will get what in the divorce. The judge simply approves the agreement and declares the couple legally divorced. Sometimes, the judge will issue a default judgment without a hearing. In other cases, though, the court may set a default hearing in divorce. If the court does set a hearing, don't be concerned. Often these hearings are simply a formality to make sure the default judgment is fair.

By |2019-09-02T17:42:18-07:00September 2nd, 2019|Family Law|0 Comments

Wobbler Conviction and Expungement

The judge has the right to decide whether to treat the crime as a misdemeanor or a felony. Many wobbler felonies have mandatory minimum sentences in state prison. Judges do not have the flexibility to give you a lighter sentence if the jury finds you guilty. The only way the judge can help you is to decide that the crime is actually a misdemeanor. If the jury says you are guilty, the worst sentence you can get is time in the county jail. When you try to expunge a wobbler conviction from your record, the judge will sometimes agree to reduce it to a misdemeanor on your record. A registered legal document assistant (LDA) can help you get your wobbler conviction expunged from your record or reduced to a misdemeanor.

By |2019-09-07T11:41:33-07:00August 28th, 2019|Expungement|0 Comments

Why You Need a Will

The older we get, the less we stress about things that do not matter in the long run. Grandparents at the beach are just happy to enjoy the sunshine, the waves, and their grandchildren’s company. They do not care if they look silly in a bathing suit! When you turn 59, you do not [...]

By |2019-09-02T09:30:53-07:00August 19th, 2019|Estate Planning|0 Comments

What is a Criminal Certificate of Rehabilitation?

Sometimes it feels like the punishment for a criminal conviction does not end when you finish probation or get out of prison. When you have a criminal record, it can be hard to get prospective employers to give you a chance. People treat you like a criminal when all you want is to earn an honest living. Lawmakers have become aware of the challenges faced by people with criminal records and have begun to offer some options to help protect their rights. In California, one of these options is a certificate of rehabilitation (COR). A registered legal document assistant can help you apply for one and move on from your criminal conviction.

By |2019-09-02T16:58:20-07:00August 18th, 2019|Expungement|0 Comments

How to Object to a Petition for Probate

There are many reasons to formally object to a petition for probate. If you think that there is something incorrect in a will, you can file an objection at the beginning of the probate process.  You may want to object to the appointment of a specific person petitioning to be the estate administrator. Most people who file objections are family members of the deceased person.

By |2019-09-02T16:32:38-07:00August 18th, 2019|Probate|0 Comments