• last will and testament with gavel laying on top and books and legal scale nearby

Who Can Contest a Will in California?

You can contest a will in California based on the way it was created or executed, and based on the circumstances under which the will was made. In terms of legal formalities, wills are required to be signed by the person making the will, as well as two witnesses. In the case of a holographic (handwritten) will, the only signature required is of the person making it. A will may be successfully challenged based on the lack of any of these formalities.

Reasons to Contest a Will in California:

Wills may also be contested on the basis of the following reasons or grounds:

  • Lack of testamentary intent or capacity – challenging the deceased person’s mental state when the will was made.
  • Undue influence – claiming that there was an improper influence, usually from another person, in the drafting of the will.
  • Fraud – challenging the will because it was made as a result of fraud on the deceased.
  • Duress – claiming that the deceased was unlawfully confined or detained when making the will.
  • Mistake – challenging a will by claiming a mistake when the will was made caused it to be invalid, or caused the person contesting to fail to receive something the deceased intended him or her to get.
  • Revocation – challenging a will by claiming that the will was voided, or cancelled out by a later will or similar document.

Only interested parties can contest a will in California. This is usually people who would have benefitted under an earlier will, or other heirs who are not in the current will. A person contesting a will can file an objection with the court to stop the probate of the will. Once this happens, the following people have to be informed of the contest; the heirs of the deceased person who are known, and each person named in the will, the executor, and alternate executors. These people then have 30 days to respond to the contest. During the hearing on the contest, the person contesting the will has to give evidence proving the grounds on which the contest is based. If the people benefiting from the contested will are given notice of the contest and do not respond within the 30 days, the case may go ahead without them, and they will be bound by the ruling in the case. At the end of a hearing on a will contest, a judge may accept or reject part or all the contested will. Note that spouses who write wills can only devise their interest in property. Because California is a community property state, a spouse cannot devise or give away all the property acquired after marriage and leave the other spouse with nothing. Any property acquired after marriage is likely to be considered community property in which the spouses have 50/50 rights. If a spouse in a community property state tries to disinherit a spouse, the spouse may still get their community property share by law.

If you are interested in drafting your will without a lawyer, you can handwrite one yourself,  you can use the statutory form provided under California law, or you can have a custom will professionally prepared. For help preparing a will, living trust or other estate planning documents, contact A People’s Choice for affordable, non-attorney assistance.

Get help with your California legal documents today!

A People’s Choice can save you hundreds of dollars by preparing your legal documents instead of an expensive attorney!

By |2018-01-18T15:47:59-07:00August 8th, 2014|Estate Planning|6 Comments

About the Author:

Sandra M. McCarthy, founder of A People’s Choice Inc., has worked exclusively in the legal field since 1976. She served as the 2004-2005 President of CALDA (California Association of Legal Document Assistants). She obtained a Paralegal Certificate from the University of California, Santa Barbara. During her career in the legal field, she has worked as a freelance paralegal, law office manager and paralegal studies teacher, and has co-authored numerous legal publications and written hundreds of self-help legal articles. As a registered Legal Document Assistant, Sandy is dedicated to providing affordable, low-cost, self-help document preparation services for California consumers in all 58 counties.


  1. David September 20, 2018 at 12:57 pm

    My aunt passed away in Nov. of last year, she was 95yrs old. Her caretaker(s) two people, had her sign over her whole estate to them. She didn’t have a will before that, to my understanding. They had a lawyer, notary, and printer come to the house while in hospice, and on medication to sign her will over to them. She passed away 10 days later. I’m curious to know is there any laws in California for someone to pass away within 10 days after signing over their estate to them. Need some help.

    • Sandy McCarthy September 20, 2018 at 8:09 pm

      It sounds a bit fishy. I would get legal advise as soon as you can.

  2. Bella September 9, 2016 at 1:09 am

    The will says if we die together Steve adult will get the house. They did not die together in fact over six months apart. So can the other adult children share the property?

    • Sandy McCarthy September 9, 2016 at 3:27 am

      If you need help preparing probate documentation to administer an estate, we can certainly help you. However, it seems like you are seeking legal advice and the assessment of a will. Unfortunately we are not in a position to be able to provide comment as we are not lawyers and doing so would be unlawful. You may want to meet with an attorney and have them review the will in its entirety and get an opinion of the will writer’s intent.

  3. Deborah Shelton October 24, 2015 at 6:48 pm

    I nneed some help wit uhh m hypertension dad’s estate . There is a problem and I need it settled. B there is a person living ok n his home and won’t allow me access to his stuff . She hands me an old will. Dated 2002 . I Iknow fo r a fact there is a newer one. Help

    • Sandy McCarthy October 28, 2015 at 9:43 am

      If there is a newer will you will have to find a way to produce it. Wills are not public record. If a probate has been filed you may want to hire an attorney to object to the will presented based on your knowledge of a newer will, but you would have to have proof of this other will to present to the court. You might also gave other remedies but would need to get advice from a lawyer first.

Comments are closed.

error: Alert: Content is protected !!