• terminating parental rights in california

Terminating Parental Rights in California

For various reasons, there may come a time when a parent’s rights are terminated under California law. What this means is that the parent is no longer considered the minor child’s legal parent, and all rights and obligations of being a parent end. The issue of terminating parental rights in California often comes up as part of an adoption process. For example, in a stepparent adoption, the biological father can consent to the adoption and voluntarily waive his parental rights. If the biological father is not willing to do this, the Court may, under certain circumstances, terminate the biological parent’s rights without consent.

Terminating Parental Rights in Stepparent Adoption Proceedings

In a stepparent adoption, there are legal reasons a court will consider terminating parental rights in California. They are: 1) when there has been a willful failure of the parent to communicate with and support the child; 2) when a parent has abandoned the child, or 3) when the biological father is unknown. There are strict requirements that must be satisfied to terminate parental rights under any of these three scenarios. The chart below provides more detail regarding the process required to terminate parental rights in California when a stepparent is seeking adoption of a minor without voluntary consent of the biological parent.

Statutory BasisStatus of Absent ParentRequirementsInvestigation/CostHearing
Willful Failure

(Family Code Section 8604)

Formerly married to spouse or domestic partner or has presumed father status.Must show that the absent parent BOTH failed to communication with the child AND failed to support the child for more than 1 year.Social Services will investigate as part of its adoption investigation, at no additional cost.No separate hearing is required. The judge will consider your willful action and the adoption request at the same time as the Petition to Terminate Rights.

(Family Code Section 7822)

Formerly married to spouse or domestic partner, or has presumed father status.Must show that the absent parent EITHER failed to communicate with the child OR failed to support the child for more than one year. If the absent parent cannot be found, you must notify his relatives of the abandonment action and adoption request.Usually a separate agency, most often the probation department, investigates an abandonment petition. The cost can be up to $900.A separate hearing must be held before the adoption can go forward.
Termination of Alleged Father

(Family Code Section 7662)

Alleged fathers onlyMust serve the alleged father with notice; he can waive further notice or, if he does not file a paternity action within 30 days, his rights can be terminated.No separate investigation. Social Services will wait for you to complete termination of rights and will submit its report indicating that the child is free for adoption.In most cases, no hearing is required and the Judge will sign an Order after you submit the Petition to Terminate Rights and supporting Declarations.

Terminating Parental Rights in Juvenile Dependency Court

Another scenario where parental rights are terminated is during a juvenile dependency court proceeding. If one or both of the minor’s parents have substance abuse problems, are involved in criminal matters, are found to be abusive, or otherwise unfit, the Juvenile Court can terminate one or both parents’ rights. When parental rights have been terminated, the government becomes the legal custodian of the minor child. This allows the minor child to be placed for adoption without the biological parent’s consent.

A parent cannot voluntarily relinquish their right simply to avoid paying child support or to resolve custody disputes, even if the other parent agrees. A parent cannot unilaterally give up their rights as a parent to avoid paying support. In order for a parent to give up their rights, there must be a stepparent willing to take over the responsibility and obligations of the child through formal adoption.

Terminating parental rights should not be taken lightly and a Petition to terminate parental rights is not always granted. A parent will not be successful in having parental rights terminated just because they are upset with the other parent or don’t want them to be a part of the minor child’s life. In order to have a court formally terminate a parent’s rights, there must be a legal basis to do so.

If you need help with terminating parental rights or filing a stepparent adoption in California, contact our office. We have over 35 years of experience helping people successfully navigate the adoption process and can help prepare and file a petition for terminating parental rights, should that be necessary.

Get help with your Legal documents today!

A People’s Choice can save you hundreds of dollars by preparing your legal documents instead of an expensive attorney!


We would love to know your thoughts on this article. Connect with us over on Google+ or Twitter and join the conversation

By | 2018-01-18T15:46:57+00:00 April 17th, 2016|Adoption, Family Law|75 Comments

About the Author:

Sandra M. McCarthy, founder of A People’s Choice Inc., has worked exclusively in the legal field since 1976. She served as the 2004-2005 President of CALDA (California Association of Legal Document Assistants). She obtained a Paralegal Certificate from the University of California, Santa Barbara. During her career in the legal field, she has worked as a freelance paralegal, law office manager and paralegal studies teacher, and has co-authored numerous legal publications and written hundreds of self-help legal articles. As a registered Legal Document Assistant, Sandy is dedicated to providing affordable, low-cost, self-help document preparation services for California consumers in all 58 counties.


  1. Help please April 10, 2017 at 1:21 am - Reply

    This article is very informative and correct I believe there should be other reasons why a mother or father should terminate parental rights against the other parent in my situation i have 3 kids which the first 2 father present at birth and sign birth certificate it Didnt work out and we went sieperates ways a decade later í have my 3rd child. Father not present at birth and refuses to sign but she does have his last name but her certificate state father unknow he does pay min child support he paid out of pocket for dna test thats why but he has no part. In her life and has said he has no felling for her and Thats it. My boyfriend who has been my best friend since high school loves my 3 kids and has said he is father regardless of the blood he said fuck dna he wants my baby to have his last name but having the hardest time for judge to grant this even when biological father said please remove Mt last name and child support

    • Sandy McCarthy April 12, 2017 at 3:21 am - Reply

      Perhaps you might consider a stepparent adoption after you get married.

  2. Claudia Zaragoza April 25, 2017 at 7:25 pm - Reply

    Hello, I am researching for termination of parentage for my eldest daughter’s biological father. I’m not seeking a step parent adoption because I am not married. Her biological father has been absent from her life since she was 6 months old with absolutely no contact what so ever. No financial support either. When he left, I did get involved in a new relationship (my daughter was then 2 years old) and he became my partner and husband for a total of 12 years. He raised my daughter and although we are divorced now, he still claims her as his daughter and she claims him as her father. My question is, can I file for parental rights termination from her biological father even though I am not seeking adoption?

    • Sandy McCarthy April 26, 2017 at 3:10 pm - Reply

      We are not lawyers but as far as i am aware this is not typically possible. Speak to an attorney for advice if you wish to pursue this. Your ex husband could still adopt her even though you are divorced.

  3. michelle April 26, 2017 at 7:17 pm - Reply

    I have two children from my ex-husband. He is estranged from them (going on 5 years). In that time period he had a daughter, signed over rights to her mother (19). Two additional children, with now a new wife (22). There is criminal history, backed support for over 37 K and I do have my second 5 yr RO. He only recently signed my divorce docs which was tied to the support, this was only done when he showed up to court to fight my restraining order renewal and the Judge made him do so. He’s trying to avoid support, but I have concerns he’s not above using our children as pawns. His phone calls are removed, only supervised visitation remains. Is there a way to terminate his parental rights without allowing him to escape his financial obligation?My children are much older and are just under the cusp of what the courts recognize. They are mature and I would prefer visits being their option which is far less damaging then riding a roller-coaster trying to be ready which turns into rejection.

    • Sandy McCarthy April 27, 2017 at 3:40 am - Reply

      I do not think so but talk to an attorney to discuss your situation if you need legal advice.

  4. Heather Burns April 27, 2017 at 4:28 am - Reply

    Hello, I’m a single parent of a 15yr old boy. His father passed away in 2005. He has chosen to live with his grandparents and I left California. How do I start actions to give his grandparents legal guardianship??? Please help…

    • Sandy McCarthy May 1, 2017 at 12:19 am - Reply

      You may not need a formal court guardianship. Look into the possibility of a Guardianship Power of Attorney. Talk to an attorney regarding the differences between a power of attorney guardianship and a court guardianship. Once you know which would best serve your situation, contact us for the required document preparation.

  5. jazzmine Ruano April 28, 2017 at 12:38 am - Reply

    I live in California and I got pregnant by a guy that lives in new jersey who has a fiance and kids …which I didn’t know ….he is willing to give up all rights can I write a contract of him signing to give up rights and put it through the courts ?????

    • Sandy McCarthy April 28, 2017 at 3:09 am - Reply

      Unfortunately unless another father is willing to assume responsibility for the child I do not believe this is possible. However, we are not attorneys so you should contact an attorney for legal advice if you feel necessary.

  6. Monika Jurgens April 30, 2017 at 10:31 am - Reply

    Situation; Mother and father both on probation mother is an addict both arrested her for dirty pee test. Him for no reason he’s clean n sober. Her parents don’t like him and cps had him jumping thru hoops. The system failed him they took his parental rights gave guardianship to mothers parents mother still using father has restraining order to keep away from her and the family. He is a hard working man who wants his son back he’s at a loss cuz he feels it’s hopeless. Can anything be done?

    • Sandy McCarthy April 30, 2017 at 10:23 pm - Reply

      He may want to talk to an attorney to see what his options are. He may be able to file for visitation or terminate the guardianship altogether. Once he has a plan of direction and knows what he wants to do, he can contact our office if he would like assistance with preparing the paperwork.

  7. Jay May 1, 2017 at 1:24 am - Reply

    Question, is there any way to fight for parental rights back if voluntary signed your rights over? I signed over rights for wrong reasons and didn’t even believe the child to be mine. Wasn’t there for birth or anything. Haven’t seen the mother since Child must have been conceived. A lot was going on and since the mother put me on child support without me even thinking she is my daughter, I signed over rights instead of a DNA test. I have my life in a better place and now that I thought clearly I want a DNA test to prove she is mine, but I want to be able to fight for some type of visitation. If I am going to be paying child support for her i want to be able to prove that she is mine and fight for rights. But my question is, is it too late to fix my mistake by signing my rights?

    • Sandy McCarthy May 2, 2017 at 1:15 pm - Reply

      If you are obligated to pay child support, I am not sure what you mean when you indicated you “signed your rights over”. That appears to be conflicting statements. I am not sure I understand your question. You may want to call our office at 800-747-2780.

  8. Daniel sanchez May 2, 2017 at 8:18 am - Reply

    If I give up my parental rights do I still have to pay child support?

    • Sandy McCarthy May 2, 2017 at 1:17 pm - Reply

      From my understanding, a parent cannot relinquish parental rights unless another parent adopts the child. Once the child is adopted, I believe there would be no further obligation for child support. Contact an attorney if you need legal advice in your particular situation.

  9. tyeisha May 2, 2017 at 3:02 pm - Reply

    if my childs father was absent for the first year and didnt help out financially or try to get in contact with my child can i have his rights terminated without his consent or even notifying him if hes not on the birth certificate?

    • Sandy McCarthy May 4, 2017 at 5:04 am - Reply

      Probably not unless another man is adopting. your child. Get advice from an attorney.

  10. Chrystal May 5, 2017 at 2:49 am - Reply

    How do we stop a step parent visitation agreement is there any way possible to do that or are their rights just as good as a biological parent?chrystal

    • Sandy McCarthy May 5, 2017 at 3:53 am - Reply

      Are you looking for legal advice or the preparation of specific legal documents?

  11. William May 16, 2017 at 6:00 am - Reply

    Hello, am i still able to ask a question? My ex-girl friend (mother) has a permanent restraining order against her for domestic violence with 6 hours supervised visitation with our daughter per week. She is also diagnosed mentally disabled bipolar disorder and has been in and out of the mental hospital several times. Am I allowed to sign over through power of attorney of minor to another person for the care of our daughter and modify the physical visitation to skype session once per week along with a phone call? I eventually want to terminate her parental rights after 1 year and adopt our daughter away. Is this feasible?

    • Sandy McCarthy May 31, 2017 at 2:06 pm - Reply

      As long as a parent has contact with a child, I doubt the court would terminate their parental rights through an adoption. Talk to an attorney.

  12. Chuck May 27, 2017 at 8:20 pm - Reply

    Hello if her mother and I agree for me to give up parenting rights to her in divorce would i have to pay child support

    • Sandy McCarthy May 28, 2017 at 1:19 am - Reply

      I am not aware of any option in California for a parent to give up parental rights in a divorce. I would suggest you contact an attorney. Typically parental rights are given up when another party adopts the child. It is not a unilateral option.

  13. Nellie June 12, 2017 at 7:59 pm - Reply

    Situation: the ex live in girlfriend says thru the course of them living together, “this isn’t your child” then takes her words back. They split up after a roller coaster relationship, obviously. She decides when the child is 6 or 7 to get support. Genetic test proves she wasn’t lying about the child not being his but she’s pursuing making him responsible. What are his options, he wants nothing to do with this child or mother. He has moved on, married and started a family.

    • Sandy McCarthy June 13, 2017 at 2:13 am - Reply

      I do not follow your story. If genetic testing has proven he is not the father I am unclear how she would be able to pursue support.

  14. Jeanette June 19, 2017 at 1:22 am - Reply

    My 13 yr old daughters father was just convicted Friday on three misdemeanor charges related to sexual misconduct against his then 13 yr old step daughter. He is going to jail and also has to file as a sex offender. This happened when my daughter was 10. She had to be the key witness against her dad and other than court appearances hasn’t seen him in 2 1/2 yrs. She wants us to terminate his parental rights and have my husband adopt her. I just don’t know what paper work to file. I would like to have him searved at sentencing in a few weeks.

    • Sandy McCarthy June 19, 2017 at 3:10 am - Reply

      Do you want to file a stepparent adoption and then a petition to terminate parental rights? If so, please call to get started 800-747-2780.

  15. Nico July 17, 2017 at 9:57 am - Reply

    hello I am a military member in California. I was trapped into having a child with a person I barely even know. Paternity test proved it is my child and I still want nothing to do with this situation despite the fact I’m being forced to pay child support. All I wish is for this individual to be out of my life forever with the child so my life can be the way it used to be. I in no shape or form want to be a father let alone being coerced into it. How can I sign over rights?

  16. Barbara July 20, 2017 at 11:31 pm - Reply

    Is agreeing to not seek custody and visitation in exchange for being released from child support frowned upon by the courts? How is it significantly different from termination of paternity? Thank you

    • Sandy McCarthy July 21, 2017 at 2:56 am - Reply

      First, I do not believe you can terminate paternity without the child being adopted. You could mutually agree to not seek custody and visitation and no support however support can ALWAYS be changed. Seek legal advice to discuss your situation more specifically. If you need help preparing an agreement, contact our office

  17. Anonymous July 31, 2017 at 6:20 am - Reply

    Hello. My child is 12 years old. I was never married to the biological father. I’ve had a child support case open since our child was 1 month old (7/2005). We’ve also been to court a few times between 2006-2012. I’ve always been given physical custody, both of us having 50/50 legal custody and him having visitations every other weekend. He has never utilized our court order. He’s nowhere to be found. My Child & I moved 3 years ago and completed address change with the court, as well as mailing him a copy…we’ve never heard from him. Its been almost 6 years since he’s spoken to or seen our child. He has a track record with child support and owes a balance. He quits his job as soon as C.S finds him. I’m married, and my husband wants to adopt my child. Is this something that can be possible? Please advise asap.

    • Sandy McCarthy August 1, 2017 at 2:11 am - Reply

      You most likely need to file a separate Petition to terminate the parental rights of the biological father based upon abandonment or failure to support. Let us know if you need assistance with this paperwork. I am not sure that this is something you could do without some type of professional help.

  18. Jeanette A. August 3, 2017 at 6:44 pm - Reply

    Hi, I know you’re not a lawyer but maybe I can get answer here, my boyfriend and I are planning on getting married, and he wants to adopt my daughter he’s raised her since she was 2 months old, what we want to know is since her father is unknown and is not on the birth certificate how does that work with terminating the unknown fathers rights?

    • Sandy McCarthy August 5, 2017 at 3:16 am - Reply

      You may be able to file a petition to terminate parental rights at the same time the stepparent adoption is filed. Please give our office a call. 800-747-2780.

  19. Steven August 6, 2017 at 9:39 pm - Reply

    I got my girl pregant and is 17 turning 18 and I’m 19… her parents know but her parents and her agree to let me give my rights away if I want. Which I am. If doing so I do not have to pay child support or anything right? It’s kinda over.? And if I Really Wanted 5-10 years later maybe see him I would have to go to court I think…. just wanna know how much info

    • Sandy McCarthy August 7, 2017 at 1:11 pm - Reply

      Excerpt from article: A parent cannot voluntarily relinquish their right simply to avoid paying child support or to resolve custody disputes, even if the other parent agrees. A parent cannot unilaterally give up their rights as a parent to avoid paying support. In order for a parent to give up their rights, there must be a stepparent willing to take over the responsibility and obligations of the child through formal adoption.

  20. Laura August 16, 2017 at 7:54 pm - Reply

    my brother has 3 kids with previous gf, her family recently contacted my brother stating that she gave up parental rights. what can my brother do to get his kids back? he hasn’t seen them since their relationship ended bc the ex gf and family wouldn’t allow him to. my brother doesn’t make a lot of money so he’s never wanted to go through the courts

    • Sandy McCarthy August 17, 2017 at 3:14 am - Reply

      There are many facts that you didn’t mention. What are the ages of the kids? How long has it been since he has not seen them? Does your brother even have a relationship with his kids? Was there ever a court order with regards to custody? Give us a call at 800-747-2780.

  21. Jennifer C August 18, 2017 at 6:23 pm - Reply

    I’m almost due with my daughter and her “father” left immediately after I found out. I’ve spoken to him and he says he wants nothing to do with her or me and I’m “doing this against his will”. He harassed me to have an abortion for almost the entire pregnancy. Is terminating his rights something I can legally do? He wants to terminate them so he has no legal obligation to her. I don’t want child support from him I just want him gone, I think he’s mentally unstable and I wouldn’t feel safe leaving my child with him anyway. Not sure what I’m supposed to do to make sure he’s completely legally disconnected.

    • Sandy McCarthy August 31, 2017 at 4:29 am - Reply

      Please read our article on terminating parental rights. It is typically not a possible to terminate parental rights of a parent unless another parent adopts the child.

  22. ENB September 6, 2017 at 10:49 pm - Reply

    IF I AM DIVORCED AND LIVE OUT OF STATE. Is it true that in order for me to allow my ex to put the kids on the new spouses health insurance I have to sign a stepparent adoption form? Amd if so does this automatically end my rights as stated above?

    • Sandy McCarthy September 7, 2017 at 1:38 am - Reply

      This sounds a little strange to me. A stepparent adoption removes you as the father and takes all your rights away. I would suggest you talk to an attorney before you sign anything like that unless your intention is to give up your parental rights.

  23. Tabitha B. September 10, 2017 at 6:53 am - Reply

    I have a son from a previous relationship and my daughter from my ex of 4 !/2 years. He played the daddy role to my son up until I left him while pregnant with my daughter. He has substance abuse issues, anger management issues, and also has a history of DV against me. She was born 6 months after I left him in 09/2014, he refused to come to the hospital when she was born, didn’t sign her birth certificate, and he has only seen her a handful of times in the first year while being supervised by his mother. He has refused to have any conversation with me in regards to his daughter since I got married to my current husband and has never paid me any child support. I stopped allowing him at the visits with his mother after my son confided to his pediatrician that when he was left alone with my ex he did not feel safe. My husband has done everything for both of my children from day one and was even there at the birth of my daughter and stayed with me in the hospital, and now wants to adopt them both and give them his last name (they both currently have my maiden name). His mother still takes both of my children every other weekend for a full sunday and brings them back in the evening and I have no plans on that changing since she has been a very active part in their lives and I wouldn’t want to take that away from them. How do I go about this process if he doesn’t agree to the termination and the adoption?

    • Sandy McCarthy September 13, 2017 at 4:00 pm - Reply

      If a parent has not actively been a part of a child’s life nor supported them for a period of a few years, you may be able to file a termination proceeding once the adoption has been filed. Let us know if you need help with that process. You can reach us at 800-747-2780.

  24. Christine September 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm - Reply

    My boyfriend and I are planning to get married and have kids of our own. His parental rights have been terminated 10 years ago from a previous relationship. I have a 6 year old. How does his parental status affect my child and any children that we may have together in the near future?

    • Sandy McCarthy September 27, 2017 at 7:38 pm - Reply

      Unless he has a problematic past, my personal option (not to be construed as legal advice) would be that it would probably not affect it at all. Is he planning to adopt your child? Adoptions require a background investigation so if there is something bad in his past, it may affect his ability to adopt.

      • Christine September 28, 2017 at 12:59 am - Reply

        As for my 6 year old, other than being my son’s stepfather a legal adoption isn’t necessarily what we were planning son i guses his status wouldn’t affect him. But he does have a fear of losing another child if we have one together. He says he wouldn’t be able to sign the birth certificate due to his belief that any child that is biologically his will be taken away from him because of his termination of parental rights. I guess my real question is does his termination of parental rights mean that he cannot have any parental rights with any child that he is legally bonded to or does it mean he has lost his parental right to only his children that were involved 10 years ago?

        • Sandy McCarthy September 28, 2017 at 8:53 am - Reply

          That would NOT be my understanding of the law however we are not attorneys so may want to check with an attorney. Termination of parental rights would typically refer to a particular child. It is not all encompassing for future children.

  25. Christopher October 4, 2017 at 6:43 am - Reply

    I have sole custody of my daughter. The mother is homeless using drugs on the streets. Where do I find an article that isn’t directly related to Fathers losing parental rights?

    • Sandy McCarthy October 4, 2017 at 9:33 am - Reply

      Hi Christopher – I am not sure what it is exactly that you are trying to do. If you have sole custody of your daughter are you trying to terminate the mother’s rights? I do not think that is possible but you could certainly review your current order and perhaps, depending on what it says, file a motion to modify the terms requiring any and all exercised visitation to be supervised. Let us know if you need help with that paperwork.

  26. ana loera October 9, 2017 at 2:42 am - Reply

    My ex husband and I have been divorced since 2009 and he had visitation rights but disappeared for 5 years never called or visited or payed child support. He came back into the country and showed up at my door requesting to see our 2 kids which I game him to trouble about. Then he appeared once every blue moon.. max 3 times a year for the past five years. Our kids are 13 and 10. Which he never payed child support either. Now he’s taking me to court for joint custody but he’s practically a stranger and our kids don’t want to live with him. I am all they know along with my parents support and now new partner have raised them. Can I still claim child abandonment? I want to terminate his parental rights since he’s been gone for 10 years and violated the court order.

    • Sandy McCarthy October 9, 2017 at 8:51 am - Reply

      I would suggest that you file a comprehensive opposition to the motion. We can certainly help you prepare that! Typically you cannot terminate parental rights unless someone is adopting the child and there has been no contact from the biological parent. Call us at 800-747-2780 for help!

  27. Steve October 9, 2017 at 8:01 am - Reply

    I’m an attorney, but nowhere near family law (patents). Through a friend, a woman asked my advice on changing the name of the biological father listed on her 7-year-old son’s birth certificate. Basically, she wants to delete the father’s name entirely (bad guy, not involved in any way but likely to contest anything out of spite). Separately, she and her now husband (who has been raising the boy since soon after his birth) are pursuing a stepparent adoption. While I think it is likely they will be able to terminate the biological father’s parental rights, making the husband the legal father, is it even possible for the court to order that the birth certificate be altered, either to change the father to what will be the new legal father or even to just delete the biological father’s name?

    • Sandy McCarthy October 9, 2017 at 8:54 am - Reply

      Typically in a stepfather adoption you can change the birth certificate as part of the adoption process. Obviously they will probably have to try to terminate parental rights if father is not willing to consent.

  28. stephanie November 1, 2017 at 3:48 pm - Reply

    HI,my parental rights were terminated in California about 2 yrs ago. Since is has been two years, can I take it back to court to get my children back in my custody. They are placed with a family member, but for some reason the adoption is not finalized as of yet. I haven’t had contact with them for about a year due to the family member keeping them away from me. I did everything I was suppose to that CFS requested plus extra, but I also kept violating the restraining order in place due to my case was domestic violence. I never missed a visit with my children until my parental rights were termininated and it was no longer court required. I really just want to know if I still have a fight…

    • Sandy McCarthy November 2, 2017 at 2:13 am - Reply

      Unfortunately you are asking for legal advice. I would suggest you contact a family law adoption attorney who may be able to give you some direction on this question.

  29. Sabrina Chacon November 2, 2017 at 11:35 pm - Reply

    How does a parent get their rights reestablished? Say if one of the parents is in prison and gets out and wants the child out of foster care. (Both parents have rights terminated)

    • Sandy McCarthy November 3, 2017 at 3:10 am - Reply

      I would suggest you speak with an attorney. California. You may want to read Cal. Welfare and Institutions Code § 366.26 which provides that a child for whom court has determined that adoption is no longer the permanent plan can petition when the child is no longer likely to be adopted and reinstatement is in the best interest of the child. For a child under 12 for whom the plan is not reunification, the court must specify factual basis for finding that reinstatement is in child’s best interest.

  30. Vivi November 15, 2017 at 2:19 am - Reply

    Hey I would like to get advice I got pregnant back in May and am now almost due .The sperm donor now claims he want nothing to do with me and our baby now that his girlfriend found out about my pregnancy which i had no idea he had a gf .I’ve asked him numerous of times to sign over his rights and all he says he isn’t signing no papers .Is their anyway I can have the sperm donor on child support while I am still legally married ? And on the birth certificate does he have to be on it so I can have him on child support. I am from California.

    • Sandy McCarthy November 17, 2017 at 4:23 am - Reply

      If you are legally married usually the spouse is presumed to be the father. You did not indicate how this other person was a sperm doner. There are special rules regarding this so you may want to get legal advice.

  31. Estrella lopez November 20, 2017 at 2:53 am - Reply

    Hi i am needing. Help I’m in a Cps at this moment an they are at the point we’re they want to terminate my husband an i both of us are right to are children need help

    • Sandy McCarthy November 20, 2017 at 2:55 am - Reply

      You may want to get some legal advice if they are trying to terminate your parental rights!

  32. Jay December 7, 2017 at 7:44 am - Reply

    6 years ago I got my now fiance and an ex girlfriend pregnant at the same time. Me and my fiance worked through it but my ex told us that when the baby wa born she would do a DNA test. She never contacted me until 3 years later when i was served with child support. And since I didn’t get the DNA test done in the courts time frame I am automatically the little boys father. I wasn’t able to support him due to me going through a hard time when she requested child support and full custody. I didn’t fight it and I gave her full custody. I haven’t been able to until a couple months ago to start paying the child support and I pay my montly amount plus some to make up for what I owe. I have 2 other children with my fiance and I want my other son in mine and my children’s lives. I am planning on getting a lawyer once I have enough money to do so. But my question is, what are the chances of me getting any custody of him since I have yet to even meet him? But I wasn’t even given the chance to be in his life since birth since she stoped all contact when she told us she was pregnant. I just want to get to know my son and allow my kids to get to know their brother. But I’m afraid that since I didn’t fight as soon as we went to court, it won’t look hood on my end. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

    • Sandy McCarthy December 8, 2017 at 3:40 am - Reply

      Your may want to file a motion for visitation first so you can start to have a relationship.

      • Jay December 8, 2017 at 5:43 pm - Reply

        Should I file a motion for visitation before I seek out help from a lawyer? Or once I speak to one? And with visitation, am I able to bring my family (kids and fiance) so they are able to build a relationship with him as well?

        • Sandy McCarthy December 8, 2017 at 7:31 pm - Reply

          want to hire a lawyer it’s going to get a little pricey. We can certainly help you file a motion for visitation if you want to give our office a call at 800-747-2780.

          • Jay December 9, 2017 at 12:09 am

            Do you charge a fee just to help guide me on how to file a motion for visitation?

          • Sandy McCarthy December 9, 2017 at 3:30 am

            Our role would be to prepare the actual paperwork.

  33. Krystal Shendo December 20, 2017 at 1:15 am - Reply

    Hi. My kids’ bio father was absent from thier lives from 2011-2013, then visited with them one day in june 2013. He has not had any other contact from June 2013-now. Child support also stopped for my kids in August of 2016. I then started the termination process since my husband wants to adopt them. We have went through the investigation process for the termination and the adoption process in which the investigator put forth to the courts that she feels it would be in the best interest of the kids to have his right terminated and adoption be granted to my husband. All that was holding us back was finding him. He now has come forward to child support and asked for a midification. In which he has asked for numerous midifications but not to see his kids. I have had the same number so he has my number. I got a call from child support today dec. 19, telling me that he is asking for a modification, and that he told them he has wanted to see the kids but didnt know how to get a hold of me. Which is a lie. We are so close to getting the adoption final, and my kids do not know him at all. They cried when the investigator mentioned seeing him. They are 10 and 11 so they know what and who they want to be around and with. My question is, is there any way that the court would grant him visitation when he has not been there and the kids have went through the interview process and have told the court investigator that my husband is who they see as dad?

    • Sandy McCarthy December 21, 2017 at 2:20 pm - Reply

      It is hard to say how a judge would make a decision on this. Have you thought of waiving past due support in exchange for him releasing his parental rights? This may be enough incentive for him to cooperate.

  34. Hauna January 9, 2018 at 4:12 am - Reply

    Hi my 13 yr old father has been present in her life sense birth, recently there was an emergency custody order put in place giving granting me with full physical and legal rights. Sense a new CWS case was opened against him he’s decided to tell me he’s just giving up his rights so he doesn’t have to deal with the process or pay child support. Is there legal??

    • Sandy McCarthy January 12, 2018 at 4:26 am - Reply

      Unless another parent adopts your child, I do not believe that the father can simply relinquish his rights to avoid paying support. When a court grants a party full physical and legal custody of a child, it has nothing to do with termination of parental rights of the other parent.

  35. Alyssa January 24, 2018 at 9:15 pm - Reply

    Hi, my 4 year old has had zero contact with his biological father since he was 6 months old. His biological father has been incarcerated for 2 years. and is expected to spend the next 6 years in prison. My husband is wanting to adopt my son… There has been no contact via phone or mail. And, there has been no monetary help from his biological father. Does this fall under Willful Failure?

    • Sandy McCarthy February 4, 2018 at 12:45 am - Reply

      It sounds like it might but I would suggest speaking to an attorney for legal advice. If you need help with the paperwork, feel free to contact us after you have obtain the necessary information to proceed.

Leave A Comment

error: Alert: Content is protected !!